Friday, May 12, 2017

May Kard Club Swap

We had our May Kard Club Swap last night at my house.  It took me most of the week to get my room ready.  What a mess it was.  It is always nice to go through things and purge what you really don't need.  If you don't absolutely love it, get rid of it.  So that is exactly what I did.  Woo Hoo!

Our theme was Red, White, and Blue.  Some will even make a little goody for each of us!  Laurie made an Uncle Sam hat that holds lots of yummy candies.  Laurie loves her Silhouette so I am sure that she used it to cut this cutie out.


First up is Kathy M. I love the googly eyes.  LOL!


This one is Erin's


Donna made this one


Here is Jeannine's


Debbie used flowers and a cute saying inside


Inside of Debb's



This one is mine, I used watercolors for the background and then stamped the fire works in cranberry. I made 2 different color backgrounds to look like the sunset and the night sky.  I water-colored on regular Daisy White cardstock (it's not watercolor paper). The little boy in the pedal car is a Cricut cut from A Child's Year.  It is probably my favorite cut of all.  I used Mercury Glass stickles  on the starts and Wink of Stella Clear on the bell.  The little boy in the pedal car was actually cut out in Daisy White cardstock and sponged with Sapphire ink only because I used all my Sapphire cardsock on a Mini Album and have not yet replaced it.  I popped him up with foam tape.



Here is Jodie's she lives in Nevada so we think she made it to look like her state!




On the inside




This one is Laurie's I am sure she cut this with the Silhouette.



It's even cute on the inside.




Last but not least is Cathy's.  We all know this shape!




Inside



And now for our project.  I cut 6 blocks of 2x4 wood 11" long.  Well my husband did and sanded them all down.  Not quite smooth.  I painted them on all 4 sides with White acrylic paint.  You can use whatever color you want.  This will be the actual color of your letters.   Then I cut out the word Kitchen in 4 different fonts so they would have a choice.  I weeded all of them but one just so they could see how I do it.
I use contact paper for these kinds of projects.  It is way cheaper than vinyl and since I peal it off of my project I don't feel like I am wasting as much money.



This is after I weed every thing off.




I then place painters tape over it.  Leaving a tag to hold onto on each end.



Then I lift up the tape from one side and the vinyl will come off with it.



Next I hold onto the tags at each end and center it on my block and burnish the letters down with my bone folder.


The last step is to peal off the painters tape leaving the vinyl.  Sometimes you have to use your fingernail to hold the edge of the vinyl down while pealing the tape up.  Then burnish the letters to the block


 Now you are ready to paint your block.



The step I am missing is to first dab white or what ever color you painted you block.  This will seal around the vinyl so that no paint will bleed under the vinyl.  Very Important Step.  
After that dries completely then you can paint over the whole block.  I used black but you can use any color that goes with your Kitchen.  You will need to let that dry completely.



Then I take my Kraft knife and peal up the letters carefully.  That's it!  You can seal it with a clear sealer.


Here are all the ladies with their signs.  You can use your re-inkers to mix with the White paint to make it any color you want.  Cathy, Erin, and Jeannine used Sea Glass.  It is hard to see in the picture but they turned out great!



I got a text later in the evening and Jeannine shared hers in her kitchen.  How cute is that.


Hope you give this a try please share you pictures in the comments.  Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to help you.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment